The Northumberland Branch of NARPO was formed after the amalgamation of the police forces in the North East of England in 1969. However, how did we arrive at the constituent forces? Read on to discover a brief history of what had gone before.
1857 - 1920
Northumberland County Constabulary was formed in 1857 and in 1920 increased in size when the County and Town of Berwick upon Tweed Police was amalgamated with the County Constabulary. To view a video of the parade and celebration of the centenary of Northumberland County Constabulary, follow this link (Please note, there is no audio)
In 1969 Northumberland Constabulary was formed with the amalgamation of Northumberland County Constabulary, Newcastle upon Tyne Police and the County Borough of Tynemouth Police.
The composition of the force changed again, in 1974,with the creation of Northumbria Police, resulting from the revision of local government boundaries. The area policed by Northumberland Constabulary was amalgamated with additional areas covered by the metropolitan county of Tyne and Wear.
In 2001, the name of the local NARPO branch was changed to Northumbria. As well as the Northumbria branch, there are branches at Gateshead, South Shields, Sunderland and Tynemouth.
The constituent forces
The police forces listed below were variously amalgamated to create what is currently known as Northumbria Police, a creation following the Boundary Commission recommendations being implemented in 1974:-
Newcastle upon Tyne Police
Newcastle upon Tyne Police was formed in 1836. In 1969, the force was amalgamated with Northumberland County Constabulary and the County Borough Police of Tynemouth Police to form Northumberland Constabulary
Tynemouth Borough Police
The County Borough of Tynemouth Police was formed in 1850. In 1969, the force was amalgamated with Newcastle upon Tyne Police and Northumberland County Constabulary to form Northumberland Constabulary
The River Tyne Police
The River Tyne Police was formed in 1845 initially, under the direction of the River Watch Committee and, from 1852, the Tyne Improvement Commission. On the 1st August,1968, they were merged with South Shields Borough Police
Gateshead Borough Police
Gateshead Police was formed in 1836. The force became part of Durham Constabulary in 1968
South Shields Borough Police
South Shields Borough Police was formed in 1834. In 1968, The River Tyne Police was merged with South Shields Borough and, on the 1st October of that year, South Shields Borough became part of Durham Constabulary
Sunderland Borough Police
Sunderland Borough Police was formed in 1837. In 1961, The River Wear Watch were merged with Sunderland Borough Police. In 1967, Sunderland merged with Durham Constabulary..